Fluid Therapy: Where is the Fluid Deficit?
When dealing with fluid therapy, the emergency clinician needs to decide which patient needs fluid, which fluid should be chosen, how to administer it and how much will be needed. The first webinar of this fluid therapy series discusses the reasons for fluid therapy and the determination of the fluid deficit as this information is needed to determine the type and amount of fluid. We will discuss signs and stages of shock in detail as treatment of shock is life-saving in the emergency patient.
AccessRecorded Webinars with Q&A Session
Study Time / CPD1 hour
Access Duration12 months
You will have access to the recording of the webinar session for a total duration of 1 year.
This course is part of an Online Program in Emergency and Critical Care consisting of 3 modules. The first module consists of 20 webinars plus Q&A Session. By registering for the full webinar series for module 1 you will get access to an examination leading to the
IEVS Certificate of Knowledge in Emergency Medicine Basics
Meet the Instructor
Dr. Nadja Sigrist
Dr. med.vet., FVH (small animals), Dipl. ACVECC & ECVECC
Affoltern am Albis, Switzerland
- Specialist Small Animal Medicine since 2003 (FVH für Kleintiere seit 2003)
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC) since 2004
- EBVS® Specialist in Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ECVECC) since 2014
- Senior lecturer, set up emergency and critical care service Small Animal Clinic Vetsuisse Faculty University of Bern 2005-2010
- Senior lecturer and head of ICU, set up of the critical care unit of the Small Animal Clinic Vetsuisse Faculty of Zurich 2013-2020
- Head of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Continuing Education (VET ECC CE) since 2009
- New since 2021: Head of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Consulting & Education
- Editor of „Notfallmedizin für Hund und Katze“, Enke Verlag 2017 and „Erstversorgung von Traumapatienten“ Schlütersche 2011
Book one single course or multiple single webinars
Package 2: Fluid Therapy & Diagnostics
Book one package with 7 webinars and receive 10 % discount
Full Module 1
Book the full module with 20 recorded webinars plus Q&A session and receive 60 € discount & certification option
Find out more about all webinars of the series
The first module "Emergency Medicine Basics" is comprised of 20 webinars in veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, which are divided into 3 packages plus Q&A session. The webinars include the following topics:
Package 1: Emergency Basics & Respiration1) Emergency Equipment2) Triage3) General Stabilisation of the Patient with Dyspnea4) Localization-based Stabilisation of the Patient with Dyspnea (case based)5) Dyspnea Cases6) Oxygen Supplementation Methods incl. Procedures7) Respiratory Emergency Procedures (Tracheotomy, Thoracocenteses, MILA Chest Tube)
Package 2: Fluid Therapy & Diagnostics1) Fluid Therapy: Where is the Fluid Deficit?2) Fluid Therapy: Which Fluids exist and why bother?3) Administration of Fluids4) What comes beyond Shock? Electrolyte and Glucose Supplementation5) Fluid Therapy Case 16) Fluid Therapy Case 27) Emergency Blood Work: What makes sense and what does it tell me?
Package 3: Reanimation, Abdomen & Trauma1) CPR Basics2) Approach to the Acute Abdomen (Case Based)3) Stabilisation of the Acute Abdomen4) Approach to the Trauma Patient5) Initial Wound Care6) Trauma Case